Seth Thomas is an active piano instructor in McKinney, TX. For information about lessons, please contact him at https://seththomaspianist.squarespace.com

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Sound-Feel-Sign-Name: Why Reinvent the Wheel?

It has been a year since I launched this blog and about that long since I posted! Life has been crazy and my priorities changed at about this time last year. I am back, though. And writing this blog will hopefully stay high on my list of priorities. Perhaps my ideas aren’t all that unique, but if I can help even one teacher, parent, or student then I will be meeting my goal for this blog.

“Why reinvent the wheel?”

Something that I read recently reminded me to always be aware of how I can do my best to help each student learn to speak and understand the language that is music (see post on this). However, even though I am always trying to find new ways of helping my students succeed, there is one teaching principle which has never failed me. Renowned 20th century pedagogue, Frances Clark, always emphasized introducing new concepts in this order: Sound-Feel-Sign-Name. Regardless of learning styles, I have found this to be the most effective means of teach new ideas to students. This principle can be used to teach most musical (or not) concepts. And while the order of introductions is set, the way in which you introduce each step should be tailored to the learning needs of the student.

To illustrate, I will use the example of the crescendo/decrescendo. Oftentimes, my students are doing this long before the method books introduce this concept. I insist on learning good phrasing skills from the beginning. So first, I would play whatever little ditty my student is learning, shaping each phrase with a crescendo to the climax and a decrescendo away from it. I would ask the student to tell what they heard me do differently than they did (as an aside: this is, in my opinion, the best form of ear training imaginable). Generally, within the first two attempts, the student is able to tell me that I got louder and then softer. I then would ask them if it happened a little at a time or suddenly. Again, they usually get this correct. I would demonstrate a sudden change in dynamic in contrast to a gradual change.

Next, the student should feel the sensation of dropping their arm weight into the keys faster to get a louder sound and slower to get a softer sound. I recommend practicing this on one note, in quarter note values, with the metronome. Then, work with them in their music to incorporate the growth and diminution of each phrase. Hopefully, without verbally addressing it, you can prevent the issue of playing faster/slower coinciding with a change in dynamic. Teachers must understand this principle: the speed at which the arm weight approaches the point of sound does not necessarily affect the speed of the arm weight moving from note to note. It is all careful choreography. That is information that does not need to be verbally communicated to the student, however, unless you have an older beginner or adult student with an interest in physics!

After they are comfortable with this concept, we begin talking about the symbols that indicate crescendo and decrescendo. I draw the two symbols and ask them which makes sense for getting louder: the one that gets bigger or the one that gets smaller. They generally guess correctly. We add these symbols to whatever they are playing, where in the previous step we already determined they would crescendo and decrescendo.

Finally, we give them a name for the symbols. This is the last and (please don’t hate me for saying it) least important step. What we call something, is far less important than understanding and being able to execute the idea behind the name assigned.

This process of steps may happen in one lesson, or several, depending on the student. What is important for the teacher, the parent, and the student to realize is that each concept takes time to learn and apply, and that not everything will happen quickly. Tremendous patience is needed from all three parties!  



No comments:

Post a Comment